Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: October 15, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – October 15, 2018
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Phase 1; Courts acrylic surfacing is complete. Phase 1 completion is in progress. Grand Opening for the Tennis Complex is set for 11/29/18.
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Phase 2; Concrete, Fencing, Painting is complete, Landscape, Court lighting and the steps for Phase 2 completion are in progress. Windscreens are being measured and ordered this week.
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Restroom Addition; Interior painting and flooring installation is in progress.
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Tower Monitor Station; The flooring is complete and the millwork arrives on 10/22/18.
- The R.H. Johnson Library Tower Roof; Bee removal and remediation is in progress prior to Roof Tile Replacement.
- The R. H. Johnson/Fry’s Driveway; Traffic striping was completed on 10/11/18.
- The ARC Paint Booth Project continues; Electrical, lighting, exterior paint, exterior concrete/block walls and parking lot asphalt are in progress. We are waiting for delivery of the paint booth. Once received, we will begin installation.
- Kuentz Softball Turf Grooming; The Grooming Machine is broken. We expect this project to resume on 10/17/18
- The Keuntz Arts and Crafts Flat Roof Restoration is in progress. The weather will determine when this project will be completed.
- The Golf Course and Recreation Center Monument signage; Stardust, Trail Ridge , Deer Valley forming signs are in progress.
- Golf Course and Recreation Center Monument Signage Project; Stardust, Trail Ridge and Deer Valley are in progress.
- The Beardsley Lighting Project has started. Mini-Golf/Horse Shoe fixture replacement, pole painting, Arts & Crafts Corridor LED lighting are all complete. The next Phase of this Project will be the changing out of the Aquatics Parking Lot LED light fixtures and poles which is in progress.
- The Beardsley Aquatics tile Roof Restoration Project begins 10/15/18.
- The discoloration/buildup of sections of the Kuentz Pool has been taken care of. The liner on that pool is very old and we have plans to replace it in 2020.
- We will be closing the Kuentz Pool for three days, Oct. 22 through Oct. 24 to changeout the pool filters, perform deck repair work on spots that have lifted and re-box the door jambs in the Fitness Room, Pool Area.
- The Bearsdley Diving Board Project has been awarded to Shasta Pools. The vendor will begin the permitting process.
- The Library/Clock Tower bee hive problem update; The bees are gone but an extensive hive remains. The Bee-Keeper must be able to access this area to remove all signs of the hive, and wash and bleach the area to keep the bees from returning next season. We are in the process of determining the best way to make this area accessible to the Bee-Keeper while the roof repair work is going on.
- Hope Fellowship Church will be having a paper-shredding Event on Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Newcomers Orientation format is being changed this year to make this event more interactive for new SCW members and the Community Organizations on hand that provide information. Our next Newcomers is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 18 at 9:00 a.m.
- The more we work through the Space Utilization Study the more we identify space issues. Any changes in space must make sense logistically and financially. We are working on a proposal to have Jay Hicks look at our space utilization globally and generate a comprehensive report on the findings/suggestions that will be presented to the Governing Board.
- The Grand Opening date for the R. H. Johnson Tennis Complex is Nov. 29, 2018. Very Exciting!
- Join us for our Jam Session Events on the second and fourth Mondays of each month at Kuentz courtyard from 1 pm to 2:30 pm. Jam Sessions go through April 2019.
- SCW Talent Spotlight (formerly “So You Think You Have Talent”) is BACK! We’re excited to present our 8th Season highlighting many new acts and “all” of your old favorites! Join us on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. Our lineup for October is:
10/17 Singer/Guitarist Tony Miller
10/24 Singer Mike Hibben
10/31 Fast Lane
- Lynden Tsosie, a renowned Navajo silver craft artist will be teaching classes at the Toy-Ki Silver Craft Club October 25 through Oct. 30 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Some of Lynden’s pieces are on display at the Heard Museum.
- The National Lawn Bowls Tournament will he held at the Johnson Lawn Bowls Courts Nov. 1 through Nov. 11. This is a great opportunity to showcase Sun City West as people will be here from all over the country to participate in this event. Many thanks to Todd and his crew for their hard work in preparation for this event. The courts are impeccable and we can’t wait to show them off!
- The Meditation Garden Signage Design has been completed and will be presented to the Rotary Club for review.
- The Sunday Bowling Special brought in $913.00.
- 45 attended our Sunday NFL Special.
- Our October 13 Faded Jeans Concert in the Park was cancelled due to weather. We are rescheduling this concert to Thursday, Oct. 25.
- Cruise Ship Individual Tickets went on sale Tuesday, Oct. 9 at the SCW Box Office and Online for our Cruise Ship Series of Events. There are still some Cruise Ship and Top Hat Event Tickets available!
- Join us October 18th for “Octoberfest” located at Beardsley Park at 6 pm. Food will be available for purchase from Memo’s Bistro.
- Veteran’s Day Weekend will be a busy time! On Saturday, November 10 we have the honor to host a free concert at Beardsley Park with the U. S. Army Field Band. Opening for the U. S. Army Field Band will be the Sandra Day O’Connor High School ROTC. Start time will be 5 p.m. and full concessions begin at 3 p.m. No tickets are required for this event.
- Also, on Nov. 12 we will host the Surprise Pops at the Palm Ridge Facility at 1 p.m. This event is free to residents, who can receive two tickets per Rec. Card holder from the Box Office. Tickets for this event went on sale October 16.
- We’ve set the date for our 5K Run. It will be on March 10, 2019 at Stardust Golf Course.
- Katie from the Village Store continues with last minute preparations for the upcoming Craft Fair to ensure that everything goes according to plan. Credit card machines are being checked out to be sure they are working properly prior to use.
- We have received many nice comments on all the work done at the Village Store over the summer. We think it turned out very nice ourselves!
- We have come up with a timeline proposal for the Governing Board Election Process which begins in late February and ends in March. We will ask the Board to approve the proposal and once approved we will provide the information to our members.
- The General Manager’s Operations Meeting locations are now being rotated to different facilities; the next Meeting is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. in the Governing Board Conference Room on Oct. 22.
- The updated Golf Lottery System will go live on Monday, December 3, 2018.
- The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and Maricopa County Attorney’s Office will be on site for a public presentation on Safety and Security at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, 10/23/18 at Palm Ridge. All are welcome to attend.
- We will begin preparations for our new phone system scheduled to be installed later this year.
- Katy O’Grady will be interviewed by the Broadcast Club to talk about the March Election for Governing Board Directors.
- This afternoon Library Director Jane Kauzlaric will present information about the R. H. Johnson Library to a local PEO group. The ladies are interested to learn how technology has changed libraries.
- The library’s “Chat with Local Authors” series resumes on Tuesday, October 16. Drop in anytime between 10 a.m. and Noon to meet Authors Ellen and Ed Zacko and their illustrator, Robert McKeon. Sun City residents Ellen and Ed met while playing in the pit orchestra of a Broadway musical and hatched a dream to build a sailboat to explore the world. They based their children’s book, “The Adventures of Mike the Moose.” Upon thirty years of ocean voyages. The adorable illustrations are the work of fellow Jazz musician and graphic designer Robert McKeon.
- The Van Guard Representative will be at the B & F Committee Meeting this week. We will also present the Year-to-Date numbers.
- The B & F Committee has asked us to take a look at our merchant processes to see if we can minimize vendor charges.
- For the first 7 days of October, revenue and rounds were down 25% compared to the same time last year but we are heading in the right direction as this week the numbers for October are only15% down.
- We have staffed and are training our Call Center and Player Assistant positions. 34 temporary staff have been added to cover these positions.
Golf Maintenance – Overseeding Update:
- Trail Ridge and Stardust will reopen on Tuesday 10-16-18. Both courses will have a one-week cart path restriction.
- Deer Valley and Desert Trails are still on schedule for reopening. Desert Trails will open next Tuesday on 10-23 and Deer Valley will open on Thursday 10-25. Both courses will have cart path restrictions. The length of the restriction will be announced later next week.
- Grandview, Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook golf courses are still scheduled to close on Thursday, 10-25.
Landscape Maintenance – Overseeding Update:
- The Softball park reopened on Monday, October 15.
- One half of the Dog Park opened on Monday 10-15-18 with the other half closing along with the grass areas outside the Park.
- The Great Lawn at Johnson is still on schedule to reopen on Wed., Oct. 24. We could be making our first cut on Wednesday of this week.
- The lawns at Palm Ridge Center were seeded last week.
- Staff will be working this week at Johnson Lawn Bowls getting the courts and landscaping ready for the U. S. Nationals which start at the end of the month.
Other: (Golf Maintenance)
- Rainfall totals for Saturday, Oct. 13 varied at the different courses from .63 inches to .9 inches. See totals below:
- PB – .66
- SD – .63
- GV – .7
- EM – .8
- TR – .9
- DV – .9
- DT – .9
- All Employment Applications for the SCW Recreation Centers will be done on line in accordance with the new Pay Com System. Interested applicants can visit suncitywest.com. You will be able to view employment opportunities at RCSCW and apply for a job using this portal.
Upcoming Events for October and November
October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Great Lawn – Octoberfest||October 18th||TBD – BEARDSLEY||6pm||No Tickets|
|Halloween Dance||October 26th||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Free Concerts in the Park||Every Saturday in Oct||Beardsley||7pm||No Tickets|
|Free Movies in the Park||Every Sunday in Oct||Beardsley||Dusk||No Tickets|
October ticket Sales
|Event||Ticket Sales Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|So This is Christmas||December 12th||Box Office/Online||8am||800|
|Veterans Day Concert||October 16th||BOX OFFICE ONLY||8am||700|
November Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|FALL FEST – One of These Nights||November 1st||Beardsley||7||SOLD OUT|
|FALL FEST – Marmalade Skies||November 2nd||Beardsley||7pm||2324|
|US. Army Field Band||November 10th||Beardsley||5pm||No Tickets|
|Surprise Pops Veterans Day Concert||November 12th||Palm Ridge||1pm||Not Available Yet|
Free Concerts in the Park Sponsors:
Oct 6th – Event went well we had around 900 people attend!
October 13th – Performer will be Faded Jeans CANCELLED – We are rescheduling this concert for Thursday, Oct 25th
October 20th – Performer will be Two Lane Highway SPONSOR – Free Spirit $300
October 27th – Performer will be Johnny K & Kompany SPONSOR – Home Instead Senior Care $400 – WEAR PINK to support Breast Cancer Awareness
October 18th – “Octoberfest” LOCATED AT BEARDSLEY PARK 6pm Food for purchase from Memo’s Bistro will be available