Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: March 18, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – March 18, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Stucco work was completed on 3-14-19. Gates and painting are in progress.
- The leak at Johnson Spa was located by American Leak Detectors. The schedule for leak repair is set for March 28th which will involve a one day closure of the facility.
- The new diving board at the Beardsley Pool has been installed and deck was repaired. Final inspection is scheduled for no later than Monday 3/25/19.
- We are still awaiting receipt of the ADA door openers for the restrooms at the Social Hall. The door opening has been relocated and we are in the finishing process of the walls (drywall, tape, paint, etc.). We schedule as much of the work prior as possible before 7:00 a.m. to avoid closure of the facility to lessen the impact on those using the Social Hall.
- We have completed replacing the skirting of the storm damaged Ramadas at Beardsley Park and have enough material to replace the skirting on the rest of the Ramadas so that they all look the same. Three of the ten ramadas are completed as we move on to the fourth.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Phil Dauterive 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of March is:
March 20 – Country Crossings
March 27 – Heatwave
- We continue working on Chartered Clubs needs regarding Space Utilization plans. The Governing Board has scheduled a public forum on this subject at Palm Ridge Summit Hall at Noon on 3-20-19.
- 105 bowlers participated in our Colored Pin Tournament this weekend.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $605 in 4 hours.
- Saturday we will be hosting the Lion’s Club fundraiser. 85 have signed up for this event which includes a silent auction.
- Saturday was our Spring Arts and Crafts Fair at the R. H. Johnson Facility. It started out slowly but as the weather got warmer and less windy, attendance increased. Initial estimates show sales increased over last year’s Fair. More details will be provided as they become available.
- Our Multi-Media Specialist, Martin, will be filming the OSHA Training Class for future use.
- We are working to be sure that scanners at the Pro Shops are operating properly.
- We have scheduled a Golf Lottery meeting Thursday to discuss outstanding Golf issues.
- We are testing the use of Recreation Cards scanned to cell phones. During this phase we are creating a reference sheet on how to use the application for the scanning of Rec. Cards.
- The Arizona Parks and Recreation Association (APRA) deadline for nominating Best Senior Program of the year for 2018 is approaching. Request all suggestions be sent to Katy O’Grady for consideration.
- New SCW maps are now available very soon for print, and the wayfinding maps for external walls will be installed in the near future.
- We are working with the Independent to again sponsor Hometown Heroes, which this year will be held April 24 at Grandview Terrace. Nominations are due today, March 18!
- Social Hall East was filled with Author C. J. Box’s enthusiastic fans on March 12. The first 36 people that showed up received a baseball cap with the logo of his newest novel and they took a group photo with the author. The photo can be seen both on Box’s and Sun City West’s Facebook pages.
- As part of the Happy Camp Event, the library will present a story time to grandchildren on Wednesday, March 20 and Wednesday, March 27. After the stories, Liberty Wildlife will exhibit several birds and animals that they have rescued.
- The library’s Chess Group will sponsor a tournament at the library on Saturday, March 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All interested residents are welcome to participate no matter their skill level. Pre-registration is not necessary.
- Two sessions of Virtual Reality will be presented on Tuesday, and two on Friday of this week. Small groups provide the best experience, so pre-registration is required. Interested residents may call the Data Resource Center at 623-544-6644 to reserve a time.
- The January/February financials will be presented to the B&F Committee at their meeting tomorrow.
- We met with our Insurance Brokers last week on the renewal of our Property and Casualty Insurance Coverage, the cost of which is basically flat compared to the previous year.
- The dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums for the FY 19/20 Annual Budget Presentations to the public are scheduled for Wed. April 24, 9 a.m. at Palm Ridge Summit B, Fri. April 26, 1 p.m. at the Lecture Hall, and Thurs., May 2, 5:30 p.m. at the Lecture Hall. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- The Membership Department has received 86 property inquiries so far for the month of March as compared to the 200 inquires received last March.
- We’ve had 69 APF fees to date for March 2019 as compared to 143 for March 2018.
- Billing statements were sent out on March 8th. The mailing now includes statements for Coyote Card holders.
- Our next Culture Series Event features John Hodson & Friends on March 24 at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. Prior to this event we will be offering a few of our “Suns” from the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt for a silent auction. The bidding will start at 4:30 p.m. in the R. H. Johnson Breezeway. 59 Scavanger Hunt Packages were turned in this year.
- Our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” is sold out. Tickets are still available for our April Dance – Yesterday Once More on April 12
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are available for renewal and upgrades.
- Happy Camp events started this week, Monday 3-18-19.
- We are already making plans for our Fall Fest Event at Beardsley Park. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, March 12. Performances are as follows: 25 – Haunted Harvest in the Park with Thaddeus Rose; wear your Halloween costume, Oct 26 – The Petty Breakers (A Tom Petty Tribute Band) and Oct. 27 – KansAZ (A Kansas Tribute Band).
- Golf Operations Revenue is down about 7% but improved from being reported down 15% the previous week.
- 225 are attending our SCW Golf Gala scheduled for March 25, 2019 at Palm Ridge.
- The Kansas City Royals Golf Tournament for the team’s coaches at Deer Valley Golf Course took place on 3-18-19 at 2:00 p.m. There were 40 participants at this event.
- We will be asking the Gov. Board for approval to perform emergency repairs on the Pebblebrook Well Pump. This was a non-budgeted item.
Upcoming Events March/April
March/April Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – John Hodgson & Friends||March 24, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Surprise Pops||April 4, 2019||Palm Ridge||1pm||Tickets still Available|
|Easter in the Park||April 20, 2019||Beardsley||8:30am||Tickets still Available|
|April Dance – Yesterday Once More||April 12, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still Available|
March Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||New Subscribers|
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscription- Upgrades||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Upgrades Now|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
HAPPY CAMP – Starts TODAY
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt – We have 59 packets turned in!
- We will have a wrap up concert that will be in conjunction with our Culture Series on Sunday, March 24th which is the John Hodgson & Friends. We will be putting out a select few of our suns for a silent auction. We will start the bidding at 4:30pm in the breezeway of RH Johnson
Last Cruise Ship was received well. It was a different variety of music but the audience seemed to enjoy it.
March 18, 2019
2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||343||49%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||561||80%||Dates Vary|
Upgrades become available tomorrow 3/12/19
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||492||70%||Dates Vary|
Renewals available now