Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: June 24, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – June 24, 2019
- RHJ Small Dog Park Upgrade & New Cell Addition Update: Sidewalks and masonry are completed. Iron fencing and landscaping are both in progress.
- Beardsley Card Room Renovation on Rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4 is in progress. Framing is complete and we are currently hanging, taping and mudding drywall.
- As part of our energy conservation effort, we are in the process of converting all room lighting at Beardsley to LED panels.
- Replacement of the Palm Ridge Aquatics exterior doors is in progress.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- We have scheduled meetings with the three bidders on the Housekeeping Contract. We will meet two of the vendors on Tuesday and the third one on Wednesday of this week.
- We are working with Daily Fitness to transition from their physical trainers to our services.
- The Beardsley Renovation Project is moving right along with the divider wall going up and the installation of new LED lighting.
- Old Fitness equipment is being removed from the Palm Ridge Fitness Center. We will be adding some extra equipment in addition to replacing the older equipment and will change the layout of the fitness room on Tuesday, June 25.
- A Representative from Fit Logic will be at Palm Ridge on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to Noon to provide us with an orientation.
- A meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 1 on the new Health and Wellness Trainer’s Program.
- David spoke with the Karaoke Club on Friday regarding room and equipment use.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- Our CC&R Compliance Staff started work last week and are getting familiarized with their new jobs and the Rec. Centers. We are currently getting up to speed with our new CC&R Compliance Software and will be meeting with our Rep. from the Software Company assist us in getting started up. He will also provide on-going training and troubleshooting.
- Riley reported that all the “chachkies” (definition for those of you not from Wisconsin, Yiddish word for trinkets/collectables) for the new CC&R Dept. have been taken care of (badges, shirts, vests, tablets, etc.). We will post CC&R contact numbers on the website as well as the hours of operation for that department.
- For the first 23 days of June, revenue is up $1,400. Adult beverage sales are also up $1,865.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $534.
- This weekend, June 30, we are hosting an “Open Tournament” for any age. All 75 spots have been reserved with more bowlers on a waiting list! Check-in begins at 8:00 a.m. and the Tournament starts at 9:00 a.m. and runs most of the day.
- The Lona King Tournament that is scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 will accept 150 bowlers. We currently have 75 registrations for this event and the spots are filling up fast!
- Village Store Summer hours are currently 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mon. – Fri. July hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon. – Fri. and the Store is closed in August to reopen the day after labor Day, Sept. 3rd.
- Our puzzlers continue to work diligently on Ravensburger’s 18,000 piece “Magical Bookcase” summer community puzzle. As of June 24, we added up the hours spent on the puzzle so far and find that we have spent 478 hours on the puzzle with the help of 30 to 40 residents including their guests. This truly is a community effort.
- Now a summer tradition, the 2019 Summer Reading Club runs through Saturday, September 7. Residents read for fun and prizes and they get to select what they wish to read. All R. H. Johnson Library print books, eBooks, CD audiobooks, and digital audiobooks qualify. In addition to drawings for a variety of fun prizes, those who participate a minimum of eight weeks will receive a coupon for one free $1 book at the Friends of the Library Book Sale on November 16. For more information and to register, residents should stop by the Library.
- Our award-winning Virtual Reality program at the R. H. Johnson Library has expanded to additional days each month. There are three presentations per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays with immediate openings. Also, guests of Rec. Card holders who are 18 years of age or older are now welcome. Guests are charged the daily guest fee but there continues to be no charge for residents. Available times each Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are 9:15 am, 11:45 and 2:00 pm. Each session is 90 minutes long and has the capacity for up to four participants for each time slot. Reservations can be made in person in the Library’s Data Resource Center or by calling 623-544-6644.
- Young grandchildren and their families are invited to Summer Story Time at the Library at 10:00 am on Wednesdays through July 31. All residents need is their Rec. Card and their family may enter the Library with them. Different stories are read each week. A kid-friendly craft project follows the stories with all materials supplied. Children not only get to keep their completed craft item but can also take home some fun library souvenirs such as bookmarks and stickers.
- Our Financial Accountant Laurie Wiggans will be retiring on Thursday of this week. Financial Analyst Karen Woods will take over Laurie’s responsibilities and we are in the process of recruiting for Karen’s replacement.
- CFO Pete Finelli reported that in May we had $350,000 of unrealized losses but in June we had $620,000 of unrealized gains due in part to stock dividends.
- Accounting personnel are very busy working on Year-End Reporting.
- CFO Pete Finelli will be reviewing the cell tower leases we are holding. They do generate some revenue which we may be able to improve upon.
- As of last Friday (6/21) Member Services processed 91 APF Fees, less 10 refunds which totaled 81 for the month to date. Total APF’s collected for June 2018 was 115. We are down about 40 compared to last year but we still have one week to go.
- Membership developed a Medical Guest Pass. It is the only card that will allow unaccompanied guests access to Rec. Centers facilities. Anyone applying for the medical card is required to produce a letter from their doctor stating the reason they are unable to accompany and check in their guests.
- Our July 4th Concert at Palm Ridge is SOLD OUT!
- Individual tickets are available now for our Summer Series, Kate and the Dream Band (7/2) and the Dry Heat Band (8/6). All shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Check out our Sizzling Summer Series for June, July and August. Tickets are now on sale! Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Country Crossroads (SOLD OUT), Dan McCorison, With a Little Help From My Friends, Sentimental Journey and John Gamber. Check the Box Office for dates and times.
- The newest member of our Events Department is Events Specialist Jolene Piaskowski. Jolene was previously with the Golf Operations Dept. prior to applying for the Events position. Please be sure to welcome her in her new job!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27. The location for this event is Beardsley Park at 7 p.m.
- Golf revenue is up 5% and rounds are up 8% for the first 23 days of June 2019 as compared to the same time last year. Numbers indicate that we had 700 more rounds played this June than last.
- We are offering a Golf Special for July and August which we advertised in a Luke Air Force Base publication. The special is a 2 for 1 round of golf on Saturdays and Sundays after 9:00 a.m. during the months of July and August.
- Pat O’Hara has been doing weekly radio interviews with Dan Hern which were recorded and broadcast on Fridays (2:15 pm) and Sundays (3:00 to 3:15 pm). Pat will begin having new interviews recorded when Dan gets back into town.
- Golf Ops staff is currently working on performing an inventory of all merchandise.
- The Annual End of Year Report to the Members will be presented on Thursday, June 27 and will include highlighted accomplishment with Photos for the current Budget Year and Highlights for what we plan to accomplish in the upcoming Budget Year.
June Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Sizzling Summer – Country Crossroads||Tuesday, June 25, 2019||Lecture Hall||1 & 3pm||SOLD OUT|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|4th of July Concert||July 4, 2019||Palm Ridge||1pm||SOLD OUT|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Kate and the Dream Band – 7/2
Dry Heat Band – 8/6
|Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Individuals Available NOW|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
Hired our newest Member for the Event Specialist – Jolene Piaskowski
June 24, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||426||60%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||686||98%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|