Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: January 28, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – January 28, 2019
- RHJ Library Tower Roof; The roof project was completed 1/21/19. Clock operation and lighting are in progress with the Facility Maintenance staff.
- Block wall expansion begins on Feb. 04 in the RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard.
- The decomposed granite walkways will be converted to concrete in front of the Social Hall, RHJ Administration Bldg. and the Sports Pavilion. This project was awarded to K. L. McIntyre GC LLC. The project will begin in February with specific dates yet to be determined.
- Beardsley Park Grading, Drainage, & Concrete Repair; drainage dry-wells are in progress, concrete forms have been completed and the concrete pour is scheduled to begin today, 1/28 through 1/30 2019.
- Beardsley Mini-Golf Turf Repair and Replacement on holes 1-5 and 10 have been completed. Remaining holes will be addressed daily until this project is finished. We expect completion in about 2 weeks.
- We need to remove and relocate several boulders between the Tennis Courts and Lawn Bowls. Todd to determine how and where to relocate them for future use at other locations.
- We’ve received many positive comments on the repainting of the Kuentz Facility exterior which turned out exceptionally well.
- We’ve been working on replacing some bad conduit at the Palm Ridge Aquatics Center entry way. This will not affect access to the area as the work is being done in sections.
- Facility Maintenance is also trenching at the back of the Dog Park to replace the wiring in the existing conduit this week.
- The chimes and the internal clock of the Library Tower are working but we have had trouble getting the hands on the tower clock to move. We will continue to address the problem this week.
- Facility Maintenance Staff is working on directional signage for the R. H. Johnson Recreation Complex.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of January is:
01/30 Leigh DeChaine (New)
- The new clock for the RHJ Tennis Complex has arrived and will be scheduled for installation by Facility Maintenance.
- Be sure to sign up to participate in our March 10, 5K Run at Stardust Golf Course. It should be a fun event and all proceeds go to help the Arizona Humane Society!
- We will be meeting with the Boomers Club regarding Space Utilization this week.
- We are in the process of reviewing Club membership numbers.
- 120 bowlers participated in our 9-Pin No Tap on Saturday night.
- The Phoenix Senior Open Bowling Tournament was held this past weekend Jan. 26 & 27. 407 bowlers participated in this event. We made $5,300 in tournament revenue and $1,000 in beer sales.
- There were 3 300 games bowled and one 800 Series bowled at the Sports Pavilion this week.
- Over the weekend, 140 people attended the wake of a bowler held in the Shuffleboard Room at the Sports Pavilion. Eulogies from friends and pastors lasted almost 4 hours.
- The London film crew was back in SCW last week scouting final locations and possible residents to be included in the Netflix series, “Travels with my Father.” The crew is excited to be filming in SCW and were very complimentary about the locations and the people. We will have more info on the final film schedule soon, but their return visit is expected in the first or second week of February.
- Gregg, our Systems/Network Administrator has nearly finished the Clubs Network Project at Beardsley. We will work on rolling it out to those clubs with an explanation of what they can and can’t do on the network and with the gear prior to turning it up live. He will then move on to Kuentz, then Palm Ridge, and lastly, R. H. Johnson which will be tackled in multiple stages due to its complexity. The entire project is not slated to be complete until at least May. A big thanks to Facilities Maintenance personnel for helping with the cable pulls.
- Gregg is also working on bringing WiFi to the RHJ/Pickleball Courts after the Clubs Network is complete.
- The Election process is well under way and ready for March. The ballot language and candidate info has been sent to the vendor so a sample ballot can be prepared. Nearly 300 people have registered or re-registered this year on top of those who have registered in the past.
- PORA cancelled their BINGO dates for the month of January and will start them back up this Friday, February 1.
- The page count for the Rec. Center News will remain at 36 as we have several proposed bylaw changes that need to be published. The deadline for the Rec. Centers News is Noon, Friday, February 1.
- We will begin interviewing this week for the multimedia assistant position. Diana is retiring in March and her position will needs to be refilled.
- It has been decided to continue to print SCW Community Maps as well as install large maps on the exterior walls of some of our facilities.
- Our next TORCH Session Meet and Greet is on Wednesday, 1/30/19 and the first TORCH Session is on Thursday, 1/31/19 and is currently at capacity.
- 60 sellers participated in the Clay Club’s Pot Party last week. The Copper Club and the Metal Club also had sales.
- The Beader’s Club will be holding their “Bling Fling” at Beardsley Recreation Center on Saturday, February 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Agriculture Club will be added to those Clubs participating in our Spring and Fall Craft Fairs. Watch for their new “Loofa” product.
- The next meeting for the Spring Arts and Crafts Fair is Feb. 14 at the Lecture Hall.
- On Wednesday, January 16, author and travel writer Roger Naylor presented a program about Arizona’s stretch of Route 66 in the Social Hall. Roger Naylor is one of Arizona’s premier travel writers. Approximately 300 people attended this event.
- Sun City West’s Palo Verde Patchers Chartered Club has beautiful quilts on display at the Library to promote their upcoming Quilt Show at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center at the end of February.
- Husband and wife authors James E. Clapp and Ann I. Goldfarb, writing as J.C. Eaton, will be stirring up some fun with their latest Sophie Kimball Mystery, “Botched 4 Murder,” at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, January 30 at the R. H. Johnson Lecture Hall. This is the fourth comedy whodunit set in Sun City West and as usual, it’s over the top with quirky characters. The program is free and open to everyone; tickets are not required.
- CFO Ken Gunville continues working with Chase Bank to see if they can decrease the fees we pay for credit card transactions.
- FY19/20 Budget work continues. The Capital Budget is done except for the Space Utilization portion of the budget.
- Ken will be working with Waste Management who will be drafting an Agreement for service for the Rec. Centers with an eye on moving more toward a “go green” direction.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk .
- Tickets for our February Dance with Johnny K. and Kompany scheduled for February 8, 2019, 7:00 p.m. at Palm Ridge are sold out.
- Tickets are sold out for the U.S. Air Force Jazz Band, Feb. 25, 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge, and Happy Camp tickets are available now.
- Our Culture Series with the Groove Kings is scheduled for January 30 on the Great Lawn at 5 p.m. No tickets are required for this event. Our next Culture Series Event is TA Burrows on Feb. 6 at 5 pm on the Great Lawn at RHJ. Tickets not required for this event.
- Tickets are still available for our Cruise Ship Event with Mark Preston on February 1 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge and our Feb. 07 Top Hat Event with Michael Paul and Dan Pecal (shows at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.) also at Palm Ridge.
- We are 6% below prior year’s numbers in revenue and rounds for the month of January. Frost and rain have slowed us down this month. We’ve had a total of 8.5 hours of frost delay at each course, cart path only restriction on two complete days and 1.25” of rainfall. Year to date we are 2% below prior year in both revenue and rounds.
- Thursday, January 24, 100 women played at Trail Ridge Golf Course for their Cholla Event with a 12:30 p.m. shotgun.
- Saturday, February 2 we will be hosting the Big Game LIII Scramble at Trail Ridge Golf Course. We are sold out at 124 players. Prizes will be given out for low team scores and the best dressed in NFL attire.
- Our next scheduled event is our Valentines Scramble for couples on Saturday, February 16 at Desert Trails Golf Course. This event is sold out at 88 players.
- Our Golf Operations Manager and a Golf Assistant will be attending the Denver Golf Expo February 8 through Feb. 10 to represent Sun City West, AZ to see if they can interest attendees at the Expo to golf SCW!
- Weber Water Resources were out last week performing efficiency tests on our well pumps. We should have the results back in a couple of weeks.
- Samples will be collected tomorrow and delivered to Spectron Labs for soil and water testing.
- Greens Aerification is scheduled this Thursday and Friday for Grandview and Echo Mesa Golf Courses. Pebblebrook and Stardust have already been completed.
- Landscaping around the new entrance signs at Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook will be completed this week.
- New plants will be installed around the trash dumpsters at Pebblebrook Pro Shop Parking Lot next week.
- Installation of the new pump station for Desert Trails began Monday, 1/28. The new station is expected to be up and running by Wednesday night.
- The first two pre-emergence applications are scheduled for this week.
- Frost Delay Information for January 2019 is listed below:
- Golfers can now check on frost delays by texting scwfrost to 55588 from their cell phone. 298 people have signed up for this service. Golfers will receive an automatic message regarding frost delays. They can also sign up for frost delay notices on our website at info.suncitywest.com. The Golf Frost Delay Sign-up can be found on the right-hand side toward the bottom of the screen.
Upcoming Events January/February
January Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – Groove Kings||January 30, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
February Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Cruise Ship – Mark Preston||February 1, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still available|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows||February 6, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
|Top Hat – Michael Paul & Dan Pecal||February 7, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|February Dance –||February 8, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Rob Rasner||February 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still available|
|Oh What a Night||February 18, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Top Hat – Gothard Sisters||February 21, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|US Air Force Jazz||February 25, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
February Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||February 12, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
Tickets for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions coming up!
5K Run (March 10, 2019 at Stardust Golf Course) is available on suncitywest.com OR here is the direct link:
January Dance – Last Friday (1/25/19) Dance was great and the Band was a favorite. We will have them back next season