Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: January 07, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – January 7, 2019
- RHJ Library Tower Roof; new roof installation in progress. Completion expected 1/11/19.
- ARC Paint Booth; Air balance on 1/7/19. Final inspection is in progress. We expect this job to be completed Friday, 1/11/19.
- R. H. Johnson Facilities Maintenance Yard; Block wall expansion is in progress.
- Golf Signage Update; 5 of the 6 Monument signs are completed. Echo Mesa sign will be completed 1/9/19 which will complete this project.
- Recreation Center Signage update; All Monument signs have been completed.
- Beardsley Park Ramada 3 and the Grading and Drainage & Concrete Repair project are in progress.
- The new spa heater flu pipe installation at Kuentz has been completed. The Spa will be up and running later today, 1/7/19.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight highlighting many new acts and many of your old favorites! Join us on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of January is:
01/09 Betty Dorsey
01/16 Bob McCann (New)
01/23 Ruthanne Peirona
01/30 Leigh DeChaine (New)
- Stop in at the Kuentz Courtyard for our Jam Sessions scheduled for Monday, January 14 and 28 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- We expect the new clock for the RHJ Tennis Complex will be shipped to us the 2nd week of January.
- We are checking into the renewal of our Movie License with our current company as well as checking into what can be offered by another company.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $859.
- We had another 300 game at the Johnson Lanes! Congratulations go out to Rick Monday of the Pioneer League. Great job Rick!
- Lines bowled was up 1,700 over the same time period last year and revenue was up $6,000 as well.
- Film makers from England were here last week. They are working on a project called Travels with my Father about a 35-year-old man and his father who is considering where to retire. They were interested in touring the facilities and meeting some SCW residents. We expect them back next week to visit an additional club or two they would like included in their project.
- IT Staff has been busy assisting the Board and the Selection Committee with computer and technology needs for the GM Candidate Search.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library will hold a regular board meeting at the library at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 10. All members are welcome.
- The daughter of a holocaust survivor, author Saskia Tepe will present a program based upon her book, “Surviving Brigette’s Secrets” at 1:00 p.m. Friday, January 11, 2019 at the Palm Ridge Rec. Center, Summit Hall B. The program is free and open to everyone; tickets are not required. Copies of Tepe’s book will be available for purchase at the event.
- Due to popular demand, additional sessions of Virtual Reality are now offered at the library each month. Members must pre-register and present their valid Rec. Card to attend these sessions.
- We are working on month-end close and continue to work through the Budget numbers. Staff Capital Budget information is almost complete. Some numbers have been changed. We plan to present the information to the Board and Committee by month’s end.
- Mileage allowance has been raised from 54 ½ cents to 58 cents and there is a new fee added to vehicle registrations; $32 for highway vehicles and$5 for golf carts.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk .
- Our New Year’s Eve Dance went off very well! The catering was great, the band very entertaining and most of the guests stayed until after midnight.
- We had many great comments on the Everly Brother’s Experience scheduled last Saturday. It was right up there as one of the best shows we’ve had in SCW and we will be sure to bring them back!
- The date in the Rec. Center News for “Oh What a Night” was incorrect. The actual date of this event is Monday, February 18, 2019 which is printed on the tickets. We will put out additional PR regarding the actual date.
- Sales at the Village Store are extremely good.
- For the first 6 days of January we had four frost delays and one rain delay which is responsible for a 35% decrease in revenue. It’s been a slow start but we expect things to pick up as the weather improves.
- Upcoming Events include The Coors Light Classic III on Sunday, Jan 20 which is sold out! Following that event is our Big Game LIII Scramble on Feb. 02, 2019 which is sold out. After that is our Valentine’s Day Scramble on Saturday, Feb. 16 our Valentine’s Scramble which is also sold out!
- We will be performing a landscaping cleanup around the new signs at Beardsley and Kuentz. We will add plant materials once the weather warms up a bit.
- We had about a ½” of rain on our course from Saturday through Sunday and according to the weather forecast there is more to come later this week.
- We are still working through some Pay Com problems dealing mostly with insurance/COBRA billing issues but they are few.
- State Minimum Wage went up to $11.00 per hour beginning January 1, 2019.
Upcoming Events January/February
January Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Top Hat – Juke Box Giants||January 10th||Palm Ridge||3pm & 7pm||Tix Still Available|
|Cruise Ship – Graffiti Gold Show||January 18th||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Illusion of Elvis||January 22nd||Palm Ridge||3pm & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|January Dance||January 25th||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
January Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|February Dance –
8 tix max/household
Johnny K & Kompany
|February 8, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||January 8, 2019|
|US Air Force Jazz||February 25, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||January 15, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||January 22, 2019|
5K Run is available on suncitywest.com OR here is the direct link:
First Top Hat this Thursday January 10, 2019 (Juke Box Giants)
New Years Eve Dinner/Dance –
Went very well! Catering was great band was solid and most of the guest stayed till after midnight.
First Cruise Ship last Friday January 4, 2019 (Americana) –
Great way to start off the season. Band was great and had a lot of great feedback from residents.
Everly Brothers Experience this Saturday January 5, 2019
WOW – One of the best shows in SCW history – We will bring them back!
*Oh What a Night – DATE is February 18, 2019
Date in Rec News is incorrect we will send PR some additional information to post and let people know that the date on their actual tickets is correct! Kasey Huhta has already spoken to Michael Melissa about it.