Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 25, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 25, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Wall Expansion footing was completed 2/15/19. Masonry work is now in progress.
- The decomposed granite walkways in front of the Social Hall, RHJ Administration Bldg. and the Sports Pavilion were converted to concrete last week. Unexpected heavy winds on 2/18/19 damaged areas of the new concrete. These areas are being removed and replaced this week and the work is under warranty by the vendor.
- Plans and Documents for the RHJ Small Dog Park are at Maricopa County Planning and Development. First review and revisions are in progress. RFP’s (Requests for Proposal) have been sent out to vendors.
- We continue to have problems with the lighting in the R.H. Johnson Parking lot and have turned it over to Excel Electric for repair.
- Facility Maintenance personnel will be replacing all the back stops at the Horse Shoe Pits. We are currently working out the details to have fencing installed at the Horse Shoe Pits as well.
- We are preparing to do some ADA work on the restrooms at the R. H. Johnson Social Hall. Any closure information will be posted if necessary. We will attempt to do most of the work prior to 7:00 a.m. to lessen any impact on those using the Social Hall.
- Interior and exterior painting of the Kuentz Facility continues. We have had many positive comments on this project.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of February is:
02/27/19 Walter Erla
- MCSO (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office) scheduled for Thursday, Feb.28 at the Lecture Hall has been cancelled. We will advertise the details if it is rescheduled.
- Our March 10, 5K Run at Stardust Golf Course is sold out. It should be a fun event and all proceeds go to help the Arizona Humane Society!
- We are busy working with Chartered Clubs regarding Space Utilization plans.
- We are very close to being finished with auditing the CR-7’s (Financial Statements) for all Chartered Clubs. We have 6 more that need to be completed.
- We have to say goodbye to our Chartered Club Specialist Patte Smith as she retires but we also get to welcome Phil Dauterive who was selected to replace her. Please be sure to stop by the RHJ Admin Building and welcome Phil in his new job and wish Patte well as she retires.
- We had two more 300 games bowled at the Sports Pavilion last week. Congratulations go out to Jim Montgomery as this was his third 300 game bowled in 3 weeks and to Lloyd Johnson of the Classic League. Great job guys! As a side note, we have had 14 300 games bowled this year!
- Lines bowled in February were up $7,000. Open play was up $1,000. Beer Sales are up 48% and total revenue is up $8,400 as compared to February of last year.
- Our planning meeting for the upcoming Springs Arts and Craft Fair scheduled for March 16 went well.
- The Village Store was open for business on President’s Day. Sales were good.
- We attended a Transportation Meeting this week with representatives from Northwest Valley Connect.
- We welcome Martin Aguero to the Rec. Centers. Martin was selected to replace Diana Wenners as Multi-Media Specialist. Diana is retiring after 4 1/2 years with the Rec. Centers. We wish her well! Stop in and wish Martin well in his new position.
- We will be having a meeting this week on the Totale Integrated proposal regarding credit card fees.
- We are interviewing this week for two vacant positions in our IT Department.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library had a record-breaking Book Sale on Saturday. All proceeds from the Friends’ various fund-raising activities always go directly toward purchasing new books, DVD’s, magazines, online databases, digital media and equipment for the library.
- The Mac-Cro-Knit Club staged a “Knit-In” in the library on Thursday, February 21. Forty Club Members participated in the event and they recruited at least one new member. Residents donated yarn for the Club’s many charitable projects.
- A special device workshop covering both Apple and Android devices will be held at the library on Feb. 27. Due to limited space, registration was maxed out almost immediately. We plan to repeat the class to accommodate those who are on the waiting list.
- Staff, the Board and the B & F Committee continue work on the FY 19/20 Budget Process.
- The dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums for the FY 19/20 Annual Budget Presentation to the public are scheduled for Wed. April 24, 9 a.m. at Palm Ridge Summit B, Fri. April 26, 1 p.m. at the Lecture Hall, and Thurs., May 2, 5:30 p.m. at the Lecture Hall. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk . Entry to the 5K Run is sold out.
- Our Cruise Ship Series continues with the Glen Campbell Tribute scheduled at Palm Ridge on March 1, 7 p.m. – SOLD OUT.
- Our Top Hat Event featuring Bett Midler is scheduled at Palm Ridge, March 7 at 3 and 7 p.m. Both shows are SOLD OUT.
- Our Culture Series Event with T. A. Burrows was cancelled due to the weather. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 12, at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. No tickets are required for this event.
- All three Spring Fest Shows, Mamas and Papas, Doobie Brothers and the Bob Seger Tribute, March 8 through March 10, have been sold out.
- Tickets for our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” went on sale, February 12, 2019 and are sold out!.
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are available Feb. 26 through March 11.
- 20 completed packets for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt have been returned! There are 30 suns hidden throughout the 4 Rec. Centers and 7 Golf Courses! Try your luck at finding them all!
- We are 17% below prior year’s numbers in rounds and revenue as compared to Feb. of last year.
- The Hickory Golf Tournament took place on February 23 through 24. This is the fifth year for the Desert Hickory Golf Classic and was run by Mr. Ken Holtz and held over a two-day period at Grandview and Pebblebrook Golf Courses. The golf courses were in great shape for this event.
- The Green Team has been collecting donated golf clubs over the last month. They refurbish the clubs and make them available to golfers in need of them. They will be distributed this Saturday at Stardust Golf Course from 9 am to Noon.
- Our Golf Gala takes place on Saturday, March 2 from 10 am to 2 pm at Grandview Golf Course. Drop in and try the latest and greatest in new golf equipment!
- The SCW Classic was sold out at 144 players by the end of the day it was announced. This event is scheduled to be held on March 16 and 17 at Grandview and Deer Valley Golf Courses.
- Some interesting Statistics:
- We have had 30 hours of frost delays from Dec. 2018 through Feb 2019.
- 4 days and 7 hours of cart path restrictions
- 9 inches of rain
We are hoping it’s over for now!
- The text alerts for golf course delays is working out better than expected. 650 golfers have signed up for this Application which includes 60 more players than last week’s total.
- We are working on the Large Dog Park as they have reported some drainage issues. We will install some french drains and/or dry wells as necessary as a temporary fix.
- Bids for palm tree trimming at the Rec. Centers have gone out. Trimming is scheduled to start in mid-June.
- We are working with our broker on the renewal of our Property and Casualty Insurance coverage.
February/March Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|US Air Force Jazz||February 25, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Glen Campbell Trib||March 1, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Top Hat – Bett Midler||March 7, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Mamas and Papas||March 8, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Doobie Brothers||March 9, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Bob Seger Tribute||March 10, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Tone Devils||March 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still Available|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows||March 12, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|Culture Series – John Hodgson & Friends||March 24, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
February Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription – Renewals||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||February 26, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
Tickets for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions coming up!
5K Run (March 10, 2019 at Stardust Golf Course) SOLD OUT
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt – We have 20 packets turned in!
Top Hat- Gothard Sisters was very popular – people loved it!
TONIGHT – we have the US Air Force Jazz Ensemble
Last week we had: AbbaFab and Jersey Boys Show. “Oh What a Night” – This was an incredible show! I will bring the Jersey Boys Back in 2021!