Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 11, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 11, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Wall Expansion Project is now in progress.
- The decomposed granite walkways in front of the Social Hall, RHJ Administration Bldg. and the Sports Pavilion are being converted to concrete beginning this week. Sleeving for electrical wiring will be included under the new walkway. The project will be done in sections at a time so as not to totally block access to these facilities.
- We have completed the repair of the outside lights at Palm Ridge in front of the Pool Bldg. They are now all up and running.
- We have temporary lighting in place at the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot in front of the Social Hall while we chase down some bad wiring to make necessary repairs.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of February is:
02/13/19 Jody Yeoman
02/20/19 Jerry Kaiser
02/27/19 Walter Erla
- MCSO (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office) will be out on Thursday Feb.28 at the Lecture Hall to wrap up their Coffee with a Cop presentation for the year. Seating is limited. The speaker will be Captain Paul Chagolla. The monthly Governing Board meeting was already scheduled in the Social Hall and our options for locations for the MCSO meeting were limited.
- Join us for our Jam Session, Feb. 25 from 1:00 to 2:30 at the Kuentz Courtyard. If you play an acoustical instrument come out and join in on the fun or just come to hear some great local entertainment.
- Be sure to sign up to participate in our March 10, 5K Run at Stardust Golf Course. It should be a fun event and all proceeds go to help the Arizona Humane Society!
- Dwayne West of the Classic League bowled a 300 game last week. Congratulations Dwayne! That makes five 300 games so far for this year. In 2018 we had a total of twelve for the year.
- 46 bowlers participated in the City of Phoenix Masters last week which generated $1,000 in revenue.
- January 2019 sales in the Village Store were the highest number reported in its history.
- We will be meeting on Thursday of this week to continue planning for the upcoming Spring Arts and Crafts Fair scheduled for Saturday, March 16.
- ONN (Our Neighbor Network) has formally been disbanded as we found that people needing assistance continued to go through the individual agencies rather than ONN. The group will still get together occasionally to discuss local social issues.
- TORCH Session 3 is this Thursday, 2/14/19. Just a reminder that Session 6 will still be held at the Posse Building.
- Producers from the show “House Hunters” contacted us to ask about doing an episode of House-Hunters in Sun City West. They will be coming out within a week to begin filming.
- Vacant IT positions will be posted this week and we will be accepting applications for the two open positions in our IT Department
- Diane Holloway Cheney, author of “Winslow’s La Posada Hotel,” presented “La Posada, Harvey Girls and Hotels” on February 5, 2019. Approximately 142 people attended this event.
- Local Author Dr. Jean Blanchet, an award-winning author, artist, and lecturer, will be featured in our “Chat with Local Authors” on February 12. Her most recent novel is “Forger of the Empire,” the incredible story of Genghis Kahn.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library Book Sale will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 16 in the Social Hall. This sale is expected to be very big.
- The Friends of the R.H. Johnson Library will have a regular board meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, February 14 at the library and all members of the Friends are welcome to attend.
- The Friends of the Library have invited all library volunteers to a special appreciation breakfast on Monday, February 18 at the Briarwood Country Club. Approximately 150 volunteers donate a total of about 22,000 hours each year to the library.
- The Mac-Cro-Knit Club will stage a “Knit-In” in the library between 9 a.m. and Noon on Thursday, February 21. They will accept donations of yarn, needles and crochet hooks while demonstrating how they craft the many items they give to local charities.
- Author Jon Talton will not be able to be here on Feb. 21 for his book signing due to health reasons. We wish him a speedy recovery!
- By Wednesday of this week we expect to have the Budget numbers put together to begin our presentations.
- Next week the FY 19/20 Budget numbers will be presented at the B&F Committee Meeting for the first time.
- The dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums for the FY 19/20 Annual Budget Presentation to the public are scheduled for Wed. April 24, 9 a.m. at Palm Ridge Summit B, Fri. April 26, 1 p.m. at the Lecture Hall, and Thurs., May 2, 5:30 p.m. at the Lecture Hall. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk . Entry to the 5K Run is almost at capacity; 248 of 275 participants have signed up.
- Last week’s Culture Series Event with T. A. Burrows was cancelled due to the weather. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 12, at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. No tickets are required for this event.
- Tickets are still available for our Cruise Ship Event with Rob Rasner, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge.
- Tickets are sold out for both shows of our Feb. 18 Jersey Boys Show, “Oh What a Night”.
- Tickets are still available for our Top Hat Event with the Gothard Sisters on Feb. 21 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Palm Ridge.
- Tickets for our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” went on sale, February 12, 2019.
- Tickets are sold out for the U.S. Air Force Jazz Band, Feb. 25, 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge, and Happy Camp tickets (March Event) are available now.
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are coming up Feb. 26 through March 11.
- All three Spring Fest Shows, Mamas and Papas, Doobie Brothers and the Bob Seger Tribute, March 8 through March 10, have been sold out.
- 4 completed packets for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt have been returned! There are 30 suns hidden throughout the 4 Rec. Centers and 7 Golf Courses! Try your luck at finding them all!
- We are 15% below prior year’s numbers in round and revenue for the year.
- 140 players participated in the Tennis Club Scramble on Sunday, Feb. 11 at Deer Valley Golf Course. #98 was the winner of the $1,000 prize for the Golf Ball Drop.
- Our Valentines Scramble for couples is on Saturday, February 16 at Desert Trails Golf Course. This event is sold out at 88 players.
- The Camp Corral Tournament is on Feb. 17 at Pebblebrook Golf Course. This is a shotgun start for 120+ golfers. This event raises money for scholarships for the children of our military veterans.
- The Hickory Golf Tournament is scheduled for February 23 through 24. This is the fifth year for the Desert Hickory Golf Classic and is run by Mr. Ken Holtz and will be held over a two-day period at Grandview and Pebblebrook Golf Courses.
- The SCW Classic was sold out at 144 players by the end of the day it was announced. This event is scheduled to be held on March 16 and 17 at Grandview and Deer Valley Golf Courses.
- Our IT Department helped Golf Operations out and worked on one of our handicap conversion systems that recently went down.
- Greens Aerification: We will finish aerification on the back nine greens today at Desert Trails. Trail Ridge will be the last course for greens aerification. They are scheduled to start this Thursday and finish up on Saturday morning.
- Preemergence applications for weed control started last week at Pebblebrook and Stardust golf courses. Applications will start on other courses this week.
- The new pump station for Desert Trails was installed last week. The Station is up and running with no issues.
- New landscape around the entrance sign at Echo Mesa was completed last week. We will finish up the entrance landscaping for Pebblebrook this week.
- Bids for palm tree trimming at the Rec. Centers will go out this week. Trimming is scheduled to start in mid-June.
- Our Annual ADWR water usage reports will be completed this week. Todd was scheduled to meet with ADWR this week in downtown Phoenix.
- So far for the month of February we have had 4.5 hours of delays, 2 hours of cart path restrictions and .6 inches o rainfall at TR, DV, DT, EM, GV and .25 inches at PB and SD.
- The Landscaping Project in front of the Men’s Club and the ARC Building will be completed this week. We will be putting in new rock (table mesa brown) and planting some new trees.
Upcoming Events February
February Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows||February 6, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
|Top Hat – Michael Paul & Dan Pecal||February 7, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|February Dance –||February 8, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Rob Rasner||February 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still available|
|Oh What a Night||February 18, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Top Hat – Gothard Sisters||February 21, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|US Air Force Jazz||February 25, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
February Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||February 12, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
Tickets for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions coming up!
5K Run (March 10, 2019 at Stardust Golf Course) is available on suncitywest.com OR here is the direct link:
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt are up, and packets are being picked up! There are 30 suns roaming throughout the 4 rec centers and 7 golf courses!