Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 04, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 04, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Wall Expansion Project is now in progress.
- The Beardsley Park Grading, Drainage and Concrete Repair Project was completed 02/01/19.
- The decomposed granite walkways will be converted to concrete in front of the Social Hall, RHJ Administration Bldg. and the Sports Pavilion beginning 02/11/19. This project was awarded to K. L. McIntyre GC LLC. The project will be done in sections at a time so as not to totally block access to these facilities.
- The outside lights at Palm Ridge in front of the Pool Bldg. were out but are now working. This project will be completed once we are finished repairing the wiring at one of the parking lot islands.
- The chimes and the internal clock of the Library Tower are now working.
- Facility Maintenance Staff is working to determine the location and cause of the outage of the RHJ Parking Lot lights in front of the Social Hall.
- A water leak occurred in the Fitness on Demand room coming from the indoor spa plumbing at RHJ. The Jet #3 line was found to be leaking. The spa remains open for use but the jet #3 line was shut down. We will be calling American Leak Detector to come in and pinpoint the leak and determine how best to repair it. Once the repair work is scheduled, it will be necessary to close the spa down. We will advertise the closure date(s) once the schedule is confirmed.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of February is:
02/06/19 Allan Walper
02/13/19 Jody Yeoman
02/20/19 Jerry Kaiser
02/27/19 Walter Erla
- Join us for our Jam Sessions, Feb. 11 and 25 from 1:00 to 2:30 at the Kuentz Courtyard. If you play an acoustical instrument come out and join in on the fun or just come to hear some great local entertainment.
- Be sure to sign up to participate in our March 10, 5K Run at Stardust Golf Course. It should be a fun event and all proceeds go to help the Arizona Humane Society!
- We found that the problem with the computer-based training at Fitness on Demand was not due to the projector malfunctioning as it was replaced. It was Fitness on Demand’s Computer that caused the problem.
- The Sheriff’s Office called to request a date, time and location for Sheriff Penzone to talk to Sun City West residents about proposed changes to the SCW Posse. The Sheriff will be at the Palm Ridge Facility on Thursday, February 7 from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- It has been brought to our attention that there is an increasing number of non-SCW residents as members and Officers of our Chartered Clubs. We are in the process of investigating this information for its accuracy.
- Join us on Saturday, February 9 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot for the Automotive Restoration Cub (ARC) Car Show. This will be a day full of Classic Cars of all types, great food and many booths to visit!
- In January 2019 as compared to last year for the same time period we are up $5,500 mainly due to the Tournaments held during that month. Beverage sales were up $3,200.
- We held a 75 cent a game Special on Sunday and made over $200.
- The London film crew will be back in SCW this week to wrap up filming for Netflix.
- TORCH got off to a great start at their Meet and Greet on Wednesday, 1/30/19 and the first TORCH Session on Thursday, 1/31/19 of last week. Just a reminder that Session 6 will still be held at the Posse Building.
- We will be advertising the dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums to present the FY 19/20 Annual Budget to the public in April/May. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- January was a very good month for the Village Store.
- We received three new wifi credit card machines to use for Fair and other transactions.
- The next meeting for the Spring Arts and Crafts Fair is Feb. 14 at the Lecture Hall.
- Husband and wife authors James E. Clapp and Ann I. Goldfarb, writing as J.C. Eaton, presented a book talk and signing on Wednesday, January 30 at the R.H. Johnson Lecture hall. These Sun City West residents have gained quite the following for their quirky cozy mysteries and almost filled the Lecture Hall.
- Author Dr. Diane Holloway Cheney, author of “Winslow’s La Posada Hotel,” presents “La Posada, Harvey Girls and Hotels” at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 5, 2019 in the R. H. Johnson Social Hall East. Doors will open at 9:30 a.m. All are welcome and tickets are not required.
- This week the Library will present two sessions of Virtual Reality on Tuesday and two on Friday. These have become very popular and we are currently considering virtual reality skiing.
- CFO Ken Gunville continues talking with staff individually to determine where we might increase revenue and decrease spending.
- FY19/20 Budget work continues focusing on the Space Utilization portion of the budget.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk .
- Our Culture Series with T.A. Burrows was rescheduled from Wednesday, Feb. 6 to Tuesday, March 12 at 5 p.m. on the Great Lawn at R. H. Johnson due to cold and damp weather in the forecast. No tickets are required for this event.
- Tickets are still available for our Feb. 07 Top Hat Event with Michael Paul and Dan Pecal (shows at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge).
- Tickets for our February Dance with Johnny K. and Kompany scheduled for February 8, 2019, 7:00 p.m. at Palm Ridge are sold out. Tickets for our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” go on sale, February 12, 2019.
- Tickets are sold out for the U.S. Air Force Jazz Band, Feb. 25, 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge, and Happy Camp tickets (March Event) are available now.
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are coming up!
- Tickets are still available for our next 2019 Cruise Ship Event with Rob Rasner on February 15 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge.
- Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt are up and packets are being picked up at the Box Office! There are 30 suns hidden throughout the 4 Rec. Centers and 7 Golf Courses! Try your luck at finding them all!
- We are 4% below prior year’s numbers in revenue and 3% down in rounds for the month of January. Year to date we are 2% below prior YTD for revenue and 1% down YTD in rounds.
- Saturday, February 2 we hosted 124 golfers for our Big Game LIII Scramble at Trail Ridge Golf Course. This event was a 12:30 p.m. Shotgun.
- The Tennis Club has a tournament scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 11 at Deer Valley Golf Course for 120 players.
- Our Valentines Scramble for couples is on Saturday, February 16 at Desert Trails Golf Course. This event is sold out at 88 players.
- The Camp Corral Tournament is on Feb. 17 at Pebblebrook Golf Course. This is a shotgun start for 120+ golfers.
- The Hickory Golf Tournament is scheduled for February 23 through 24. This is the fifth year for the Desert Hickory Golf Classic and is run by Mr. Ken Holtz and will be held over a two-day period at Grandview and Pebblebrook Golf Courses.
- The SCW Classic was sold out at 144 players by the end of the day it was announced. This event is scheduled to be held on March 16 and 17 at Grandview and Deer Valley Golf Courses.
- Oliver Littlesalt will be attending the Golf Manager’s Weekly Meeting today to discuss Lottery updates and any other outstanding issues.
- Our Golf Operations Manager and a Golf Assistant will be attending the Denver Golf Expo February 8 through Feb. 10 to represent Sun City West, AZ to see if they can interest attendees at the Expo to golf SCW!
Upcoming Events February
February Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows||February 6, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
|Top Hat – Michael Paul & Dan Pecal||February 7, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|February Dance –||February 8, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Rob Rasner||February 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still available|
|Oh What a Night||February 18, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Top Hat – Gothard Sisters||February 21, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Tickets still available|
|US Air Force Jazz||February 25, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
February Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||February 12, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
Tickets for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions coming up!
5K Run (March 10, 2019 at Stardust Golf Course) is available on suncitywest.com OR here is the direct link:
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt are up, and packets are being picked up! There are 30 suns roaming throughout the 4 rec centers and 7 golf courses!